Download System Requirements
Mac OS X
On Mac OS X computers, you can get all of the tools you need from the Xcode application in the Apple Store. It includes a set of developer tools, specifically the command line tools, that you will use to build and run programs on your computer.
- Update or get the latest version of Xcode from the Apple Store. This may take up to 30 minutes.
- When your computer is finished downloading Xcode, open your terminal and enter the following:
This code installs Xcode command line tools.$ xcode-select --install
- Enter the following into your terminal to check if xcode command line tools were installed properly:
If the output is$ xcode-select --version
xcode-select version xxxx, then you properly installed Xcode command line tools.
On Windows, you can use npm in powershell to download the tools you need to build and run programs on your computer.
- Open powershell as an administrator — you can find powershell by searching for it in your Windows taskbar.
- Enter the following lines of code to install Windows build tools from the internet:$ npm install --global --production windows-build-tools$ npm install --global node-gyp
- Once your computer is finished installing, run the following command to check if they were installed properly:
You should see$ node-gyp --version
xrepresents a number.