Great job completing the first lesson on learning Kotlin! Let’s go over all the content we have discussed:
- Kotlin is a general-purpose programming language.
main()function is the starting point of all Kotlin programs.
- When we want to output something to the terminal, we can use print statements like
- Code is read from top to bottom.
- Comments are used to explain what is happening in our code.
Language and syntax and rules - oh my! Learning a new language can feel daunting; luckily, there are many online resources available to us for the Kotlin language:
- The Kotlin Language Guide contains the official documentation for Kotlin.
- The Kotlin’s Language Guide on Formatting discusses Kotlin’s coding conventions and formatting standards.
- The Kotlin Style Guide contains Google’s Android coding standards for Kotlin.
- The Codecademy Forum is a great resource and friendly place where learners can view and ask coding questions.
These language guides and resources are invaluable to programmers, and we highly encourage keeping them at hand and referencing frequently when developing in Kotlin.
Take some time to practice using Kotlin in Review.kt:
Here are some ideas on what you can do:
- Create the
- Print your age by subtracting the current year and your birth year.
- Print your favorite quote.
- Add comments about what your code is accomplishing.
When you’re ready to move on, click Up Next.